Apricot is a delicious and sweet fruit. These fruits are one of those types that are self-fruitful, meaning they do not require any pollination partner. Farmers plant the apricot and grow it for many centuries. It is a familiar fruit in the cuisines of various countries. Apricots Cultivation needs abundant water and summer to grow well because it is a Mediterranean crop. Apricot fruits are suitable for moderate winters but not for harsh winters. Dry weather or low humidity is ideal.
Farming requires the most important type of equipment, which plays a major role in agro-processing. Therefore, equipment, harvesters, and tractors are the major ones in the cultivation of apricot. Hence, we recommend the John Deere 5105 Tractor. Apart from this, we also suggest a rotavator, a cultivator for this apricot cultivation.
Weather and Site to Grow Apricots
- Soil and site are the most prominent factors for growing apricots as many related factors affect the process. Apricots bloom in early spring; subsequently, planting them in late spring can be risky.
- They require 600–900 chill hours every year at a temperature of 0 °C to 8 °C. A temperature below 0 degrees is harmful to apricots. The ideal summer temperature is 37 °C.
- Plant the apricot fruits in well-drained soil because this soil is ideal for this fruit. Farmers should use soil that is alkaline with a pH scale of 6.7-7.5.
- They should plant the apricots in full sun to maximize the yield. However, farmers should avoid planting in areas where there is frost.
- Apricots are that plant that is capable of self-pollination. Therefore, they do not need any other partner for this growing process.
Spacing in the Apricots Trees
Standard spacing should be different between 20-25 feet. Spacing depends on the height of a standard apricot tree, which can grow anywhere between 20 to 30 feet.
- You can buy apricots as bare-root, container-grown, or balled and Burlapped.
- You should prepare the planting area in full sun and plant the apricot bare-root trees in early spring. Farmers can plant the tree that is grown by container or bold plants in spring or early summer.
- It is important to add an all-purpose fertilizer and compost along with the soil at the bottom of the tree hole.
- Insert the tree into the hole at soil surface level from all sides. Then the roots should be spread in all four directions.
- Fill half the hole with organic planting mix, half with suitable soil, and half with compost.
- Build a basin around the trunk to hold water while watering. Water well every day and fertilize from time to time.
Taking care of Apricot Trees
- Taking care of an apricot plant is quite simple. Apricot plants get most of what they need from soil, water, and sun. So you should water the apricot trees weekly in the starting.
- At the flowering time, keep the soil as much as possible so that the fruit reaches its full size.
- The amount of chlorine, salt, or boron in the water should not be high.
- The tree requires all-purpose fertilizer and aged manure.
Pruning is The Core of The Plant
- Pruning is the most prominent factor in apricot care. Thin off all stems and branches that do not bear fruit. This pruning will give more sunlight and space to the young fruit-bearing branches.
- Remove broken branches and all diseases.
- Branches that are narrow and cannot tolerate the weight of the fruit must be removed.
- Prune in summer and not in winter. Therefore, apricot fruits are prone to diseases and bacteria when harvested in winter.
Harvest: When and How
Apricot fruits begin 3-4 years after planting. Therefore, harvesting should be done in late summer. To check if the fruit is ready, hold it and give it a slight twist. If it pulls off the stalk easily, then it is ready. A ripe apricot will be sweet and slightly soft.
Problems and Their Control
Moths, insects, bacteria, fungus, Birds, spiders are common problems that are dangerous to the fruit or leaves or the whole tree. You can plant trees to protect them from birds. For other diseases and bacteria, you can use summer oil, copper oil, or tree-friendly sprays that kill insects, bacteria, and fungi.
Advantages of Apricot Farming Business
- Apricot cultivation is a very easy and simple business if you can do everything perfectly. However, there are many benefits or advantages of commercial business.
- You can start commercial date palm farming to earn a good amount of profit. You can begin this farming business even if you are starting. Here we are revealing the top benefits of creating a commercial apricot farming business soon.
- Since commercial production is profitable, you can take this opportunity to create a source of employment. Especially educated unemployed youth can start this kind of agriculture business instead of looking for a job.
- The production cost is not very high, and the returns are excellent.
- Marketing the apricot will be relatively easy, as it has already established its market.
- Consuming apricots has various health benefits. And you can enjoy fresh apricot fruits if you start growing by yourself.
In the farming of the apricot, the important factor is equipment, which is more beneficial for apricot cultivation. Therefore we suggest the Powertrac 439 Plus tractor. Apart from this, rotavator, cultivator, harrow, and many more implements are important.
For more information regarding apricot farming, stay tuned with us.