Sometimes, Exchange data files get corrupted, and all the data in EDB files are inaccessible. There can be many reasons for making Exchange data corrupt, such as bad sectors on the hard drive, introducing transaction logs wrongly by the server, and thus improper updating. In that case, you have to make an exchange server recovery. There are several options for recovering or repairing an Exchange database. But, finding a suitable process is just complicated for users. Hence, I have come up with this guide to instruct you on some potential plans to perform Exchange recovery. This guide will go through several manual methods, even the professional Exchange recovery tool that is an easier way.
Before moving on to the methods, let me brief you of some calamity that makes Exchange data inaccessible.
Reasons for corrupting Exchange data:
There could be a few different reasons behind this disaster. This guide listed a few reasons why EDB files get corrupted.
- Presence of Virus with the device
- Improper system closers
- Application malfunction
- User errors like wrong commands with data
- Lost database objects
Now, learn about the ways to get rid of the corruption problem in the Exchange database.
Ways to repair corrupted EDB files:
- Manual ways:
Manually, there are two types of processes to do this task. Listed below:
The Exchange Server comes with a built-in ESEUTIL tool. It is helpful for Exchange Server recovery. This utility also defragments exchange data, clarifies data integrity, and manages mailbox size.
The default place of the Eseutil tool in Exchange – C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin
The ESEUTIL utility comes with quite a broad functional feature.
You have to know some switches of this ESEUTIL utility before using it.
- Database repair – Eseutil /p
- To data defragment–Eseutil /d
- For restoring database – Eseutil /r
- To review the database reliability – Eseutil /g
- For durable recovery– Eseutil /c
- For copy database -including log files – Eseutil /y
This method is a command-line procedure. It is defragmenting an Exchange Server database offline. You can also check the database honestly and run Exchange Server Recovery with this method. This exchange recovery tool creates in the \EXCHSRVR\BIN directory.
You can use this procedure to fix any problems with information stores and directories. You have to open this utility in the bin directory because it is not in the system path in the bin directory. Or, you can add ‘\EXCHSRVR\BIN’ to the system path.
It is another manual method for Exchange Server recovery. You can use this to identify the database as an ESE database. You also can verify the database tables, records, and indexes with this. ISINTEG tool also provides the details about recovery in the application log in Event viewer.
You can try these methods in some cases to perform Exchange Server recovery. But, these utilities will not satisfy you according to your needs. Manual ways contain many complications and drawbacks, so these are not preferred plans.
Drawbacks of the above utilities:
- You must know about the recovery of Exchange databases.
- The recovery process takes a long time to complete.
- There is a risk of data loss, even from minor human errors. It can permanently delete data that cannot recover ever.
- You may face the problem of missing some items.
- Manual methods do not suit all Exchange versions or users.
You have learned a few reasons why manual Exchange recovery is not preferred. Manual Exchange server recovery is a hectic task. You do not need to disappear for such situations. You have to use professional methods to complete this task. Shoviv Software provides an excellent Exchange recovery tool that can recover EDB files in a hassle-free way. You can make the corrupted mailboxes accessible in a few steps. Let me explain this quick solution.
Shoviv Exchange recovery manager software:
It is an advanced Exchange recovery tool. You can use it and get complete recovery from any issues in Exchange data. This tool perfectly reads corrupt and non-corrupted files. You can add various file formats like Live Exchange mailboxes, Office 365 mailboxes, and Outlook profile stores as a source to process. The tool appears to have a simple user interface that makes it easy for everyone to use. You can also migrate, export, or save recovered mailboxes in various available formats. This tool comes with many advanced features to complete all tasks efficiently. Use it to resolve all the issues in the Exchange.
Highlights of the Exchange recovery tool:
- Since being with advanced algorithms, the tool lets you add any number of mailboxes to be retrieved at once.
- It provides Exchange server recovery instantly without modifying the data structure and integrity.
- You can add the public folder and archive mailboxes to process with it.
- This quick Exchange recovery tool allows you to preview source mailbox items before the actual process.
- After recovery, it can restore all items or selected items to different formats like HTML, EML, vCal, vCard, MSG, MSG UNICODE, CAL, RTF, etc.
- You can use it for Exchange migration or upgrades.
- After completion, you can save the entire report in HTML format to the local drive.
Features and functionalities:
- Incremental Export option: This option is helpful in the export or backup process. It resumes the process in the event of interruption and prevents duplication for the same target.
- Search Item: You can search the desired items of source mailboxes to process by Subject, To, CC, BCC, From, Item type, Attachment Name, read/unread messages, etc. You have to use semicolons (;) in between while using multiple search standards.
- Filter Option: You can Include/Exclude source mailboxes items and filter the desired items by messages date range and message class.
We understand the manual procedures are not suitable for all users. Mentioned Exchange recovery tool is the best choice for Exchange server recovery. You can use a demo version to ensure the functionality of this tool. The demo version allows the recovery of the first fifty items per folder.