Lotus Notes and MS Outlook are both leading email clients having huge user bases. They can manage emails, contacts, calendars, and other data items with ease. In this article, we will focus on how to export Lotus Notes contacts to Outlook. Contacts are vital for any business or person since they act as a means to communicate with others.
The reasons why users may need to export their contact list to Outlook are many, such as:
- MS Outlook offers a lower maintenance cost
- Lotus Notes has a more complicated user interface
- The latter application offers more features as compared to Lotus Notes
- Outlook need not be bought separately as it comes with Office suite
While exporting the contacts, contacts need extra attention so that you do not mess up their data. There are manual as well as automatic ways to export the contacts from Lotus Notes to Outlook. We shall discuss both of those methods in detail in this blog.
Manually Export Lotus Notes Contacts to Outlook
The manual method involves two steps i.e., exporting the contacts from Lotus Notes and then adding them into Outlook.
Step 1: Export Lotus Notes Contacts
- Launch Lotus Notes & navigate to Contacts
- Select the More option from the Menu bar & click on the Export contacts option.
- A dialog box will open up, select “All Contacts in This View” if you need to export all contacts.
- Choose the “All Fields” option to export all contact information.
- Now browse the destination to save the files in the Save To option.
- Add the file name & choose the CSV option from the “Save as Type” field.
- At last, select the Export button to finally save contacts.
Step 2: Add Contacts to Outlook
- Run MS Outlook & select the Open tab.
- Choose the “Import” option, and now it will display the Import-Export Wizard.
- Here, the “Choose an Action to Perform” field will be opened. Opt for the “Import from Another Program or File” option.
- Hit the Next option.
- Now, select the “Comma Separated Values (Windows)” option from to list to import the CSV contacts.
- Click on the Browse button & locate the CSV file that you exported.
- Choose the “Do not import duplicate items” field and then hit on Next.
- From the “Select destination folder” field, choose any available folder and select Next.
- Finally, select the Finish button & then the import process will start.
Limitations of the Manual Method
You can conveniently export the contact list across the platforms using the CSV file format which is a comma-separated values file. But, it poses several restrictions that we have listed below. If users do not have any problem with these drawbacks, they can continue using them. However, if you are somebody who is having issues, then you must skip to the next section where we explain the automated solution perfectly.
- It fails to transfer all of the information from the Domino Server.
- This method cannot load and transfer the logos and images from Lotus Notes contacts to Outlook.
- It is complicated for novice users to implement.
Smarter Way of Exporting Lotus Notes Contacts to MS Outlook
No manual method is free from limitations. Therefore, it is rather better to choose a professional utility for such purposes. The SysToolsls Lotus Notes NSF to PST converter offers a brilliant platform for moving the contacts across these applications. It offers many benefits, such as:
- Exports contacts in bulk amount from Lotus Notes to Outlook
- Feature to selectively export the desired contacts into MS Outlook
- Preserves the folder hierarchy, structure, and integrity of your data.
- Option to exclude duplicate contacts based on 12 attributes such as names, emails, etc.
- Supports Lotus Notes 9.0.1 and other below versions
- Compatible with Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and other below versions
- Can export the password encrypted NSF contacts too
We have discussed how to export Lotus Notes contacts to Outlook. This is not an easy method to implement but we have provided the best possible solution in this article. Here we discuss manual as well as the automatic solutions for users to choose from as per their needs. It is not easy to perform the manual method, therefore, it is much better to go for the professional utility that does not pose limitations to your working.