QuickBooks is the most preferred accounting application that serves all your business’s needs. Its payroll feature makes employee management easy, as it helps is managing employee benefits, paying salary, and numerous other things. It is important to update the program from time to time to use these features efficiently. But sometimes, QuickBooks won’t update payroll and evokes payroll update errors. The possible reasons behind the error are inactive payroll subscription, damaged QuickBooks Desktop file, and incorrect service key. In this blog, we will discuss what causes QuickBooks payroll error and how we can fix it.
If QuickBooks won’t update payroll and you need immediate assistance to fix it, reach out to the certified QuickBooks expert’s team by giving a call on our customer support number 1-855-948-3646
What are the causes behind the QuickBooks Desktop payroll won’t update error?
Below are the major factors that prompt this payroll error in QuickBooks:
- The QuickBooks Desktop version you are using is outdated or not compatible with Windows.
- The Employer Identification Number (EIN) and PSID of the company file are incorrect.
- The payroll subscription is inactive or there is more than one active payroll agreement with an inactive direct deposit agreement.
- There is some damage to data, or the QuickBooks application is not updated.
- The paysub.ini file of QuickBooks is damaged or corrupted.
- The payroll service key of QuickBooks is incorrect.
Head to the troubleshooting section and implement the solutions to resolve the error from the root.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 15224
Fixing QuickBooks payroll error with different solutions
Following are the most effective troubleshooting solutions that will help you resolve this payroll error:
Solution 1. Get the latest QuickBooks Desktop release
- Make sure your company files are closed when you quit the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- After that, go to the Windows Start menu and look for the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon and choose the Run as administrator option.
- Wait till you see the No Company Open screen and select the Help menu there.
- Choose Update QuickBooks Desktop, select the Options menu and click Mark All.
- Click the Save button, go to the Update Now tab, and click on the Reset Update checkbox.
- Select Get Updates to start downloading the payroll update. Once it completes, restart QuickBooks and install the update.
Solution 2. Download the newest tax table release
- In QuickBooks, choose the Employees menu and click Get Payroll Updates.
- Click on the Download Entire Update checkbox and select Download Latest Update.
Solution 3. Change QuickBooks payroll PIN
- Open QuickBooks, choose the Employees menu, and select My Payroll Service.
- Select Account/Billing Information and sign in to your Intuit Account.
- Head to the Payroll Info section and click Update PIN under the Payroll service PIN section.
- Type your old PIN. Create and confirm a new PIN, then click Submit.
Solution 4. Try clean installing QuickBooks Desktop
Generate a backup of your QuickBooks data manually using the steps given below before you start the clean installing process:
- Open QuickBooks, select the Help menu, and choose the Switch to Single-user mode option.
- Click the File menu, select Back up Company and click Create Local Backup.
- Within the prompt window, click Browse and pick a location to save the backup file.
- If you want, you can also set the number of backups you want to keep.
- Once you are ready, click Save it now and select Next.
Now, remove QuickBooks from your workstation:
- Open the Start menu, select Control Panel and open it.
- Within the Control Panel, choose Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
- Go through the list of applications, choose the QuickBooks version you want to uninstall, and click Uninstall/Change.
- Select Remove and then Next.
Next, download the installer of your QuickBooks version. Here’s how:
- Collect QuickBooks product information and keep your license number handy.
- Note down the product year and version.
- Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop application using the new installer file.
Solution 5. Make use of the Verify and Rebuild Data Tool to fix company file and other issues
- Within QuickBooks, select the File menu and choose Utilities.
- Select Verify Data, click OK, and close all open windows.
- Before you start rebuilding the data, make a backup of your company file.
- Select the File menu, go to Utilities and click Rebuild Data.
- Once the rebuild completes, click OK and close the window.
Solution 6. Repair QuickBooks using Quick Fix my Program from QB Tool Hub
- Download the setup file of the latest QuickBooks Tool Hub version from Intuit’s website and save it to an easily accessible location.
- From the saved location, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and follow the instructions given on the screen.
- Click on the agree to the terms and conditions checkbox to finish installing QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once done, move to the desktop and locate the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon.
- Double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon and wait till it opens.
- Go to the Programs Problems tab and click Quick Fix my Program.
Solution 7. Repair QuickBooks application manually
- Move to the Windows Start menu and open Control Panel.
- From Program and Features, click Uninstall a Program and view the list of applications.
- From the list, choose QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
- Click the Repair button.
Solution 8. Revert the paycheck in case of incomplete payroll
- Open QuickBooks, choose Employees at the top menu bar, and click Pay Employees.
- Click Scheduled Payroll or Unscheduled payroll and then select Resume Scheduled Payroll.
- Right-click the employee name and click Revert Paychecks.
We are now concluding our article on QuickBooks won’t update payroll error. We are hopeful that the solutions discussed above will work for you in eliminating the problem. If you need any help with the same, call us on our toll-free number 1-855-948-3646 and talk to certified QuickBooks professionals.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Update Error 12031