It is academic homework that the professor assists in evaluating the student’s knowledge concerning the literature work. It provides a bigger picture of an interpretation made in a book. To compose a perfect literature essay, a student requires writing techniques and skills. On the other hand, universities provide short deadlines, which leads to stress for the students to approach other homework assigned by the professors within that same deadline. Such situations make it challenging for the students to concentrate on their homework and submit quality work.
The structure of a literature review may vary depending on the homework and discipline.
Also, a review comprises a self-contained unit, rationale and preface for engaging in primary research. A review is a required section of research proposals and grants and often a part of dissertations and thesis. Generally, the objective of a review is to critically interpret a section of a published body of knowledge through categorization. Including the comparison of prior scholar work and theoretical studies and summary.
Format of Literature Review
We noticed that the students face issues in formatting the literature review; for that, you can take a look at the following points while composing your literature essay.
The introduction plays a key role in the literature review. When you are working on introducing the literature review, you should focus on defining the general topic. Also, the problem, or area of conflict, and providing the relevant context for reviewing the literature. Highlight the overall developments concerning the topic, or issues, in theory, conclusions, methodology and evidence; gaps in scholarship and research; or single issue or new viewpoint of immediate interest.
Create the writer’s perspective for reviewing the literature; define the criteria to interpret and differentiate literature and the institution of the review (order). When required, explain why certain literature is part of (scope).
● Body of the Literature Essay
It would be best if you were cautious about what to include and what not to include. In body paragraphs, you should include group research studies and other forms of literature as per common denominators. Moreover, not to forget about the particular objective, quantitative vs qualitative methodologies and many more. Also, you have to summarise articles and scholarly works with little details.
Add strong “umbrella” sentences at the beginning of the body paragraphs. Also, brief “so what” summary sentences at intermediate areas in the review. It will help you to develop an in-depth understanding of analysis and differentiation.
When it comes to the concluding paragraph of the literature essay, you should brief out the major contributions of scholars and articles related to your topic. By maintaining the focus constructed in the introduction then, examine the recent “state of the art”. Highlight the major methodological gaps in the research work, discontinuity in theory and problems connected to the future study. You have to conclude the paragraph by providing a few key insights into the relationship between the larger area of research, such as profession, discipline, and the literature review’s main topic.
Things to Avoid While Writing the Literature Review
While composing the homework related to the literature review, you should take care of the following points:
- Poor organization: This is the most basic error in literature review writing as a poor structure makes the students’ recompose and recreate several sections. With the help of subheadings, you can avoid the poor structuring of the literature review which will help you to avoid poor structure and the misbalance of the organization.
- Avoid gaps: The main purpose of a literature review is to find out the literature gap. However, if your literature review cannot underline a research gap or the contribution by the scholars, your research won’t be beneficial.
- Ignorance of steps: The literature review involves a series of steps from problem formulation, data collection, data evaluation, analysis and interpretation to public presentation.
- Old/New Studies: The most common error that writers commit while working on their literature review is to include the recent developments and studies in their review. On the other hand, writers should use a relevant mix of current and old studies.
Absence of definition section/ background:
That happens more frequently, and unfortunately, most students don’t concentrate on adding the pre-literature review part. A potential audience is left out if the main areas and background data is not there.
- Adding inappropriate content: When it comes to working on the details of the literature review, students make errors, especially while collecting the data for the essay. Especially while going through the scholar’s work. This led to writing or mentioning unnecessary information. To ensure that the appropriate data is added to the literature review, citing the relevant points related to the subheading. You should take care of such mistakes and understand that just because a study is associated with the chosen topic does not make all the details appropriate.
Furthermore, a literature review is developed to examine the students’ skills to conduct online research and find the needed and authentic research articles. The literature review summarises the study conducted in the past on a particular topic. Conducting a literature review provides the writer and reader with an understanding of what happened or has been established in the past in their field of research. It shows the readers that the writer has assimilated the majority of the important works of several scholars in that field. If you find it difficult to research on your own, you can go for essay writing help. It will help you develop your skills and knowledge concerning a particular topic, including the essay’s format and academic language.