Do you want to convert an Excel (xlsx) file to a VCF (vCard) file? Then you’ve come to the correct place. The simplest way to save contacts and other information on a PC is to use MS Excel. As a result, most people and businesses kept contact information in Excel spreadsheets. Because spreadsheets make it simple to manage, organise, and format information or data. Formulas allow you to compute and modify data. Furthermore, some people get or purchase contact information in xlsx files from a variety of sources for commercial purposes.
Business software and bulk SMS providers, on the other hand, support the Excel file for importing data/contacts from spreadsheets. However, a vCard file is required to import contacts into mobile phones, cloud services, and email services. As a result, if you have an xlsx file and wish to import the contacts from it, you may need to convert it to a VCF file first.
WHAT EXACTLY IS A VCF (VCARD) FILE?
VCF (vCard) is an abbreviation for virtual card format. It’s a digital business card. This format is used to hold contact information such as name, phone number, address, email address, photo, web address, and so on. It also allows custom fields, so you can quickly add a new field as needed. Furthermore, vCard allows you to share and transfer contact information via the internet. Almost all email clients can read vCards. Furthermore, operating systems provide applications for creating and reading vCards.
All PC and mobile operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS, have a contacts app or software that supports vCards. Additionally, all major operating systems support the import and export of contacts in VCF format. Text is used to store information in vCards (VCF File). So, by opening the file in Notepad/TextEdit or any other text editor, you can simply see the contents.
EXCEL (XLSX AND XLS) FILE WHAT IS IT?
An xlsx file is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file that was generated by Microsoft Excel. Other tools, such as OpenOffice, Google Sheets, LibreOffice, and Apple Numbers, can also generate the file. It stores data or other information in tables (i.e. rows and columns).
The tables allow you to simply organise the data. You can also use formulas to calculate and make changes. Furthermore, the data may be shown in charts. That is why the majority of firms utilise Excel spreadsheets. However, both file types are generated by Excel software, but there is a distinction between the two. The XLS format employs a proprietary binary format, whereas the XLSX format uses Open XML. Microsoft Excel 2007 and later utilise the Xlsx format, whereas older versions use the XLS format.
3 METHODS FOR Export Excel XLSX to vCard VCF Files
Converting an xlsx file to a vcf file is a time-consuming operation for most individuals. Because there is no option for this in Excel itself. You may, however, save the spreadsheet as a CSV (comma-separated values) file. Following that, you can easily construct the vcf file.
To convert the files, there are several commercial softwares, programmes, and internet solutions accessible. However, most consumers do not favour online tools due to concerns about privacy.
When looking for converter software, you’ll see that the majority of the tools and applications are paid. Furthermore, the trial version is ineffective. Trail versions are usually limited in some form.
Don’t worry, free software to convert xlsx to vcf is also available without restrictions. You may also accomplish it without using any software or tools. However, it is a time-consuming operation. As a result, there are three options: with software, without software, and online tools. It is entirely up to you whether or not to utilise software.
METHOD 1: Export Excel XLSX to vCard VCF Files WITHOUT THE USE OF SOFTWARE:
This is a lengthy (but not excessively so) procedure, but you do not need to install any software on your computer. This may be accomplished in three simple steps. You must first save your Excel file in CSV format. You may accomplish this using Microsoft Excel or any other spreadsheet programme. The Contacts app then assists in converting the file. If you use Windows, you may be familiar with the built-in Contacts application (program). This built-in utility accepts CSV and VCF files. You may quickly convert the files using the included programme. The following is a step-by-step guide:
Step 1: Convert an Excel file to a CSV file.
You may use Microsoft Office, Google Sheets, and other apps to convert your Excel spreadsheet file to CSV.
- First, open the file in MS Excel.
- If you’re using Excel for Microsoft 365, Excel 2019, Excel 2016, 2013, or Excel 2010, go to File » Save As » Computer and choose a folder.
- The Save as windows or dialogue box will now appear. To pick the format, select the folder and then click on the Save as type button. Following that, you’ll see a list of formats. Select the “CSV (Comma Separated Values)” option. After that, press the Save button.
- If you have Excel 2007, click on the Office symbol in the upper left corner and pick the Save as option. Under the Save as type drop-down menu, pick “CSV (Comma Separated Value) (*.csv).” To convert and save the file, click the Save option.
- When you click the Save button, the two warning popup messages may appear. The first warning stated, “The selected file type does not allow workbooks with many sheets.” To proceed, click the OK button. After that, another popup alert appeared, saying, “*.csv may include features that are incompatible with CSV” (comma delimited). “Would you like to save the workbook in this format?” To
- proceed, click the Yes button.
- The file will now be converted to CSV format.
You can use Google Sheets online if you don’t have Office software. Upload and open your file in Google Sheets, then save it by going to File » Download » Comma-separated values.
Step 2: Open Contacts and import the CSV file.
- Open Contacts on your Windows PC now. In the Cortana search, type Contacts. Otherwise, press “Windows key + S” to access the Windows search function.
- Click on Contacts from the search results to access the contacts windows. From the top, select the Import option.
- The Import to Windows Contacts dialogue box will appear. Enter CSV (Comma-separated values) as the file format and hit the Import button.
- Now navigate to and choose the location where you stored the CSV file. After that, press the Next button.
- Import the field you wish to map. To alter the mapping, choose the checkbox. Select all of the desired fields. Finish by clicking the Finish button.
- Every contact will now be displayed in a list.
Step 3: Convert CSV contacts to vCards VCF Files.
- Now, in the Contacts box, select all contacts. Ctrl + A, then pick the Export option at the top.
- Click the Export button after selecting the vCards option from the popup window.
- Choose the folder and press the Ok button.
- That’s it.
When you open the folder, you’ll see the vcf files.
- Time-consuming procedure.
- You don’t need to connect to the internet because it works without it.
- Each contact was turned into its own vcf file.
METHOD 2: EXCEL XLSX TO VCARD VCF CONVERTER TOOLS ONLINE:
Online tools are extremely useful, and you do not need to install any tools on your PC. There are several internet conversion programmes accessible. Simply upload the Excel spreadsheet, and these programmes will provide the vcf file.
Before importing your spreadsheet data, you must first arrange it. Otherwise, the tools will display an error. Furthermore, in certain online converters, you must identify the start and end row and column, as well as the data contained by columns. As a result, some users may find the procedure complicated and time-consuming.
The following are popular online converters:
- There is no need to install software on a PC.
- It is free to use.
- An Internet connection is required.
- Risk to one’s privacy.
- Your information might be compromised.
- The data is difficult to map.
METHOD 3: USE SOFTAKEN EXCEL VCF CONVERTER TO CONVERT EXCEL TO VCARD:
Software and technologies facilitate the entire procedure. Without software, each contact is kept in its own file. As a result, managing several files is tough. Even if you have 100 contacts, the converted folder will have 100 files. As a result, certain software is available to help with this issue. One of the most popular programmes is Softaken Excel to VCF Converter. It is not free, but it has several sophisticated features. Its trial version allows you to convert up to ten entries. Users with little or no technical skills can easily utilise the tool. Furthermore, you may quickly convert many contacts from an Excel file to vCard format.
Converting XLS contacts to vCard files with Softaken Tool:
- Install the programme successfully on any Windows PC.
- Use the Browse button to locate an Excel XLS/XLSX file.
- View a preview of the Excel file’s contacts and map them to vCard fields. Now, at the top of the left side, pick the Export option.
- From the options, pick “Export vCard as a single file.”
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the location where you wish to save the vCard file.
- Click the Export vCard Now button to begin the conversion process.
You will be able to rapidly import all contacts from XLS to vCard file format onto your mobile devices, Outlook, Thunderbird, Gmail, iCloud, and other platforms.
- Export the Excel file, including all contact information, to VCF format.
- Analyze and scan contacts from an Excel spreadsheet.
- Without using Microsoft Excel, convert XLS/XLSX contacts to VCF.
- All contacts should be saved in one VCF file.
- vCard’s field mapping service may be used to map Excel columns.
- It is feasible to convert a large Excel file to vCard format.
- The free version only allows you to convert 10 entries.
You now understand how to convert Excel to vCard (xlsx to vcf file). That is possible with or without software. Furthermore, free internet tools are accessible. You may generate a separate file for each contact without using software. Well, managing several files is tricky. However, the programme is the finest to use because it allows you to effortlessly convert the files. Furthermore, you may store all contacts in a single vCard file and utilise that file to import the contacts into any phone, email service, or cloud service.