Corporates are now looking continuously to meet the standard for maintaining their communication. Many of them trusted IMB Lotus Notes and using for a long time. However, after Outlook entered the competition, many of them switched to it due to its advanced features. Well, there are a few reasons behind the user shifting their email client from Lotus Notes to Outlook and import their NSF files into Outlook PST format. Microsoft Outlook offers an easier user interface than its competitor.
More reasons like Outlook is cost-effective also leave HCL Notes way behind. If you are planning to change your email client and want to convert NSF to PST files, then kindly read this write-up completely, as it will cover multiple solutions to deal with the conversion.
What reasons support NSF to PST Conversion?
Users look for the conversion due to several reasons, which are shared below:
- The installation and maintenance cost of the Lotus Notes email client is costlier than Microsoft Outlook.
- Technically skilled users can run it easily, which is different from the case of Outlook.
- Outlook users can also access their data with the help of OST files, whereas Lotus Notes does not provide such freedom.
- NSF files take more RAM, which has an adverse effect on the working user system.
- Outlook PST files are more protected than NSF files. Users can secure their PST with a password.
- The downtime for the Domino Server can extend up to many hours, which makes problem for the users to access the data.
More reasons are behind the conversion of the NSF files into Outlook PST, but now check some prominent ways through which it is possible to convert NSF to PST file format. Some users look to utilize the manual solution as free, and some look for a better alternative.
Manual Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST Conversion Solution
It comprises a few steps; first, the user must move all their Lotus Notes emails, calendar, and contacts into the CSV file and transfer the CSV into Outlook. Alternatively, there is one solution that will directly help to convert NSF to PST, which we will discuss later on. Now, follow the steps shared below to convert your NSF files through manual method.
Process to Export NSF file into CSV file format
- Launch the HCL Notes application and open the File tab.
- From the File, you must open the IBM Lotus Notes Application.
- Click on the Export option in order to move ahead.
- Now, select the required Lotus Notes NSF files using the browse button. Choose a location to save the resultant file. From the drop-down box, select the Comma Separated Value option.
- Click Export to start the conversion process.
Procedures to Import CSV file into Microsoft Outlook
- Firstly you need to launch Outlook on your system.
- Press the file tab and then select the Import/ Export option.
- Next, choose Import from another program or the Import & Export wizard file option.
- Now, select the Comma Separated Value option from the Import wizard, and then click the Next button to continue.
- Import the exported CSV file using the browse button and click the export button.
- In this step, press the finish button to start the importing process.
It will take time to execute the conversion process and wait till the import process get over.
What are the challenges posed by manual conversion methods?
It is not easier for non-technical users to rigorously follow the complete instruction to convert NSF to PST due to the complex steps involved in manual conversion. Besides, there are too many things to remember while doing the conversion, and the layman user cannot remind them all. This method cannot promise to maintain data integrity after the conversion.
Also, it does not allow exporting multiple Lotus Notes files at once. Even a minor mistake while converting the files may lead to file corruption. Alternatively, professional solutions are available to overcome the problems posed by manual methods. One of them is the Shoviv NSF to PST converter, an impeccable solution to meet the demand of most Lotus Notes users.
Why does Professional third-party have the edge over manual conversion solutions?
With the drawback of the manual method, there is a professional solution that will overcome all such problems. The third-party tool to convert NSF to PST from the Shoviv Software has features that will make the quick conversion. It has an impressive user interface, with each function defined clearly so that any user can do their task without facing any issues.
Shoviv NSF to PST converter data previewing option lets users see all the added items before starting the process. This feature provides surety about whether all added data is required or not. No matter how many NSF files users have, this software can add multiple NSF without limiting their sizes.
Additional & Prominent feature of the Software:
- Any process which gets stopped in between will increase the workload for the user. However, this software supports an incremental export option which can resume any interrupted conversion process.
- Its filter option facilitates users with an option to include as well as exclude the required NSF file item. This option also helps to remove unwanted data and the size of the resultant files.
- Users can save their NSF file item into MSG and the EML file formats along with the PST file saving option.
- Using the software folder mapping option, it is easier to move the source item from the particular into the target folder.
- The tool provides the report after the end of the process, which users can also save into an HTML file.
- Users can run this tool on any system which has any Windows Operating System. This runs perfectly fine with all versions of Domino Server, Microsoft Outlook, and Lotus Notes.
- It also offers a free demo version and using it, and users can convert NSF to PST to judge its performance.
How users can use Shoviv NSF to PST converter tool to convert NSF files to PST?
- You need to install this application and then open it.
- Choose the Add NSF file from the tool ribbon bar.
- Users can add the files to the software using the Add and Search NSF files option. Once done, then click on the OK button.
- Now pick the Outlook PST option to start the conversion process.
- From the Export item in the PST wizard, select the folders you want to include in the conversion using the software Check/Uncheck Subfolder option.
- You can make the PST password protected and set the resultant file’s size. Using Browse set the location to save the PST file. In addition, users can also use its incremental option. Once done with customizing the process, click on the Next button.
- Users can apply the filter on data based on the time period and export selected items. After applying the filter option, click on the Next button.
- After performing the above procedure, the software will start to convert NSF to PST process, and the user can check the live process log. Click Finish to complete the process.
We have seen different reasons users look to convert their Lotus Notes NSF files into Outlook. This blog has also highlighted the manual method and the alternative approach, which is a third-party tool to convert NSF to PST files. However, manual conversion requires good technical knowledge from users, whereas professional’s software eliminates such requirements. Therefore, the end decision will be of users choosing the procedure to convert their NSF files.