An administrator cannot avoid one task while managing mail systems such as Exchange Online: importing PST files into Office 365. But did you know other ways to import PST to Office 365? This technical guide is more relevant if you wish to send PST files to Office 365 or Outlook online.
One method is to use the Outlook Import Wizard to import PST files. This process is only ideal when only a limited number of PST files or when Outlook users will import the PST files themselves.
Another solution is drive shipping, which entails saving the PST files to a secure hard drive and shipping the hard drive to one of Microsoft’s stores. The hard drive’s data are then uploaded to a location where a PST import task may be createdin Azure Storage.
At last, if your area lets you, you can use the network upload option to import PST to Office 365. As the name suggests, the network upload option lets you send PST files that are probably on your company’s network to an Azure Storage location over the internet.
PST import requirements for Office 365 with native way:
Manual imports of PST files to Exchange online require concentration.
- Office 365 users who don’t have Office 365 or want a test tenancy to request a trial.
- An Office 365 admin account with an assigned Mailbox Import Export role in Exchange Online. This role enables you to import PST files to Office 365 mailboxes.
- An Office 365 administrator user with the Mailbox Import Export role assigned in Exchange Online. You may use this role to import PST files into Office 365 mailboxes.
- The Office 365 admin account with at least the Mail Recipients role in Exchange Online. This position is automatically assigned to the Organization Management and Recipient Management groups.
- In Office 365, at least one mailbox is required. When importing the Outlook Data Files, the destination will be this Office 365 mailbox.
- There must be at least one PST file. When importing data to Office 365, it will read the items’ Outlook data file PST. If you don’t already have it, follow this link to learn how to make a PST file.
- You must first install the Azure Storage Explorer utility if you wish to see the uploaded PST files using the GUI.
Important: It is important to place that only the AzCopy version from this URL will operate with the network upload option. Any other versions of AzCopy will not function to import PST to Office 365.
The import task might take some time; when I tested it with a PST file that was 6 megabytes in size, the status remained “import in progress” even after 30 minutes. At such a point, the window can be closed and returned to it later. It is a time-consuming technique with the possibility of errors or data damage.
Import PST File to Office 365 via Outlook:
It is another way to import a PST file to Office 365. So let’s start with this free approach to use Outlook self-service to import the PST file. Run your Outlook account on the Windows system and then do the following:
- Choose the File tab in Outlook.
- You should select the Open & Export option when given a choice.
- Simply select the Import/Export tab.
- Make your selection under Import/Export using a different file program (default selected).
- Choose a database file from within Outlook (.pst).
- From the list of available files, select the one you want to import.
- On the following page, you will be given the option to select what is to be imported and where.
- To begin the Import PST to Office 365 process, click the Next button.
Import PST File to Office 365 via a specialized tool:
According to professionals, the best way to import PST files into Office 365 is to use third-party software. Shoviv PST to Office 365 migration software is one of them. This software has many beneficial features and a simple user interface.
This software doesn’t limit the number or size of PST files you can import. It does not impact the data integrity or folder organization during the procedure.
It enables an incremental option that helps to resume to import PST to Office 365 process in interruptions. You may employ the folder mapping and email translation features to make the import procedure more convenient.
This technical post discussed importing PST files to Office 365, which is important to migrate a Windows-based program to Office 365. Manual procedures are extremely difficult and time-consuming in this scenario. With manual processes, even your data is at risk.
Furthermore, the Shoviv stated specialist tool is the finest option. It can easily and securely import PST to Office 365 as well. You may even test it with its free version before a license.