QuickBooks is a famous accounting application among small and medium-sized businesses. Along with the features, it is known for its technical glitches. One such issue that users face is QuickBooks won’t open company file that shows up on the screen with a warning message, “QuickBooks can’t find your company file.” Some users encounter this company file error with a message, “The company file you selected could not be found.” There are numerous reasons that trigger the error, which are discussed in the next section of article. Continue reading until the end to learn the troubleshooting process.
Do you require instant support to overcome QuickBooks won’t open company file error? Give a call on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784 and get immediate assistance from the certified QuickBooks experts team
Possible reasons that can cause QuickBooks Company File is missing error
Here is the list of major factors responsible for this company file error:
- The company file name is incorrect as per the guidelines and QuickBooks can’t find it.
- The location of the QuickBooks company file is incorrect, or it is not saved to the original location.
- The user is opening the backup file or portable file instead of the company file.
- Misconfigured network settings preventing QuickBooks from accessing the company file stored over the network.
- The user is selecting the wrong company file or choosing the wrong way to open it.
You must also read this blog – How To Fix QuickBooks Error 1723
Solutions to Eradicate QuickBooks can’t find your company file error
Solution 1. Download a new update of QuickBooks and verify file type
To download a new QuickBooks update on Windows manually:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, select the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Choose Update Now, then Get Updates and download the complete QuickBooks update.
- Restart QuickBooks. When prompted to install the update, click the Yes button.
- After finishing the QuickBooks installation, restart your workstation and you are ready to use the latest QuickBooks update.
To download QuickBooks update on Mac:
- Start QuickBooks, go to the QuickBooks menu and click Check for QuickBooks Updates.
- Click the Install and Relaunch button and wait till the install finishes.
Now, check that the file you are trying to open is a company file because you can’t open backup files (QBB) and portable files (QBM).
Next, ensure your company file is not encrypted or compressed:
- Find and right-click the company file, then click Properties.
- Click Advanced and clear the Compress and Encrypt checkboxes.
- Once done, click the OK button.
Solution 2. Alter hosting to fix QuickBooks company file disappeared error
Disable Host Multi-User Access on your workstation if you host your company file on a network. To turn off hosting on the workstation:
- Go to your workstation, open QuickBooks and go to the File menu instead of opening the company file.
- Choose Utilities. If you see the Host Multi-User Access option, nothing is wrong with the workstation. Move to another one without selecting the option.
- If you see the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option, click it and follow the same procedure to change hosting on all other workstations.
- Once you check all the workstations, go to your server computer and open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select the File menu, choose Utilities and select the Host Multi-User Access option.
- Turn off the Host Multi-user Access and then turn it on again. This resets the Multi-user mode.
- Once done, open QuickBooks and try opening the company file.
Solution 3. Run QB File Doctor from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to eliminate QuickBooks won’t open error
- Close company files before quitting the QuickBooks Desktop application and visit Intuit’s official website.
- Get the newly released QuickBooks Tool Hub version and save its setup to an easily accessible location like Windows Desktop.
- Head to the desktop, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and follow the prompt instructions to install the tool hub.
- Accept the terms and conditions to install the QuickBooks Tool Hub successfully on your workstation.
- Go to the desktop, open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the Company File Issues tab.
- Pick your company file from the drop-down and select the Check your File option.
- If you can’t see your company file in the drop-down, click the Browse button and enter login details.
- Input QuickBooks admin credentials and select Continue to start File Doctor.
- Wait till the File Doctor scans the company file and resolves issues within it.
- Once the File Doctor completes, close the tool hub and reopen QuickBooks.
Solution 4. Try accessing a sample company file in QuickBooks
- Go to the Start menu, tap and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard and click the QuickBooks icon.
- Keep holding the Ctrl key until QuickBooks opens and select the Open a Sample file option.
Solution 5. Fix company file issue by changing the location
- Go to the Windows Start menu, type File Explorer is the search field and open File Explorer.
- Open the folder containing the company file, right-click the company file and click Copy.
- Go to the desktop, right-click anywhere and click Paste.
- Restart QuickBooks, go to the File menu and click Open or restore company.
- Pick the company file you copied to your desktop and choose Open.
If the company file opens, the location of the file was the issue.
Solution 6. Don’t save the desktop while exiting QuickBooks
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop application, and choose your company file from the No Company Open window.
- Tap and Hold the Alt key on your keyboard, click Open and keep holding the Alt key until the file opens.
- Input password when QuickBooks asks to sign in, then press and hold Alt key and click OK.
If the company file opens, disable the desktop when closing preference in QuickBooks. Here’s how:
- Go to the QuickBooks Edit menu, choose Preferences and click Desktop View.
- Choose Don’t save the desktop, click OK and restart the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Open company. If it opens, the issue is fixed.
Solution 7. Run Quick Fix my Program from QB Tool Hub to repair QuickBooks
- Go to the desktop, reopen the QuickBooks Tool Hub by clicking the icon and go to the Program Problems tab.
- Click Quick Fix my Program, wait till it runs a quick repair and restart QuickBooks.
- When QuickBooks opens, choose your data file.
Solution 8. Open QuickBooks Desktop in Safe Mode
- Restart your computer in safe mode, press the F8 key on your keyboard and go to the Networking tab.
- When the System starts in Safe Mode, select QuickBooks and go to the Start menu.
- Click the QuickBooks icon for verification and login to the company file.
We are hopeful that following the above troubleshooting solutions will help you overcome QuickBooks won’t open company file error. There are chances that the error doesn’t fix even after implementing the solutions. In that case, get in touch with the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our customer service number 1.855.738.2784. Related Search Terms – QuickBooks Company File Not Opening, QuickBooks Company File Won’t Open error, QuickBooks Company File Won’t Open message, QuickBooks Not Opening Company File, QuickBooks POS Not Opening Company File, QuickBooks Will Not Open Company File, QuickBooks won’t open company file, The company file won’t open in QuickBooks Desktop
You may also read this article – QuickBooks Error 6129: Read the Most Helpful Guide Here