Organizations running on a retro infrastructure for storing their business data are now getting aware of the Cloud technology. Such organizations have data files in PST file formats and they urge to import that to a cloud service. If any user wants to upload PST to Office 365 in a safe manner, this article is the right place.
In this informative article, we’re going to discuss about the manual method along with the modern solution. Here, our focus is on understanding the factors that affect users’ experience of this operation. Read this complete article to execute this operation without any hassle.
What are the Manual Methods to Migrate PST File to Exchange Online
There are a few manual methods available to execute our import process. Let’s understand which method is better and what are the complications that users face in these manual methods.
In layman’s terms, there are two available methods to smartly transfer your files to the cloud servers manually. The first one is the network upload & the one is the drive shipping. Let’s have a look at the network upload method first.
Network Upload: Here, users need to use the Office 365 import service to move files over the network. The utility used here is the Azure AzCopy tool. This is a very technical process and users must be very careful while operating here.
Drive shipping: This process is not very technical but still complex. Admin has to store the required files in a hard drive, encrypt them with BitLocker. The Drive then has to be shipped to Microsoft physically.
Drawbacks of the Manual Methods
The manual method works but it comes with a lot of disadvantages that can severely hamper your data import process. Before you start to upload PST to Office 365 manually, be aware of its drawbacks.
- Users can easily get confused if they try to operate the traditional techniques because of the complex procedure.
- If any user wants to move files larger than 250 MB. The manual method doesn’t import files larger than 250MB.
- The Drive shipping method is expensive. Users need to pay $20/GB to import data. Now imagine a firm having data of 1 TB, they have to pay a thousand dollars for this.
- Users with more than 300 nested folders in their accounts can not perform the manual method.
- Drive shipping facility is not available worldwide, that is why this method isn’t universal.
Know the Advance Solution to Execute Our Operation
To avoid all the drawbacks present in the manual method, users should simply opt for the modern approach. The modern approach includes the Most Trusted Office 365 Import Tool to get the work done ASAP. Download the tool & then start copying the steps mentioned below to upload PST to Office 365 mailbox.
Step-1. After launching the tool, click on Is Admin checkbox & enter your Office 365 admin login details.
Step-2. Add your PST files using various available options like Add file/ Add CSV file/ Add folders according to your preference.
Step-3. Now you need to map your files to their respective IDs and then verify if the authentication tab shows a green tick or not.
Step-4. Select the categories like emails, contacts, calendars & tasks. Apply the Date range filter as well for importing only the selective information.
Step-5. Click on the Start button and just wait till the completion of the process.
What Makes the Modern Approach Better?
Many useful features make the modern approach far better than any of the manual methods available. Now let’s have a look at these useful features to understand why the modern solution is better.
- Import files of an individual user or you can use admin credentials for importing bulk files of multiple users.
- This tool keeps your PST files safe and protects them from getting corrupted during bulk transferring.
- Along with emails, users can easily transfer contacts, calendars & tasks.
- Users can import the shared mailbox PST files to Office 365 using the admin account.
- It can retain Metadata & other attachments of the email after migration.
- To migrate PST file to Exchange Online in a customized way, use date & category filters to avoid unnecessary data files.
- The tool is compatible with all versions of Outlook & Windows OS.
The Final Verdict
Performing these operations is not easy until you have the right guidance & a perfect tool. Users can perform this import operation in several ways but to avoid errors, they must opt for the best solution.
Many organizations have already shifted towards the modern solution. That’s why we discussed the modern solution along with the manual method, in brief, to upload PST to Office 365. This article can help you understand the process of both methods in detail.