Are you aware that the white diet can cause stains to your teeth? Well, just like a white t-shirt can get stained, the similar can happen for the teeth. Go through this blog post to know what you should eat and drink for the next 48 hours after teeth whitening. As per the studies, the foods and beverages we take might leave a significant impact on your teeth colour. If you have got your teeth whitened, then they can be at greater level of susceptibility to stains. So, a white diet is generally recommended for the ones who had undergone the treatment.
Knowing your teeth properly
The tooth is broken into three parts and they are – the root, the neck, and the crown. As whitening method can affect the crown only, the part of your tooth you will see can be focused in this section.
- Enamel:This is said to be the top layer of tooth which is the hardest and strongest part. The colour may range somewhere from slight yellow to more grey white and some people will have whiter teeth than others. The enamel should protect the inside part of your tooth which has sensitive nerves. When you intake hot, cold or acidic foods, the enamel acts in the form of a guard against it and any plaque.
- Dentin:Just below the enamel is dentin that covers the entire tooth from the crown to your root and connects to the nerves. Being the second layer, the elastic structure protects the enamel from fracture and connects with the remaining tooth. The dentin is highly susceptible to decay and bacteria and so, it should be protected by the gums and enamel. When the gums recede or enamel gets eroded, the layer of your dentin becomes exposed. So, people suffer from sensitivity and pain to certain foods, drinks, and temperatures.
Short-term effects of teeth whitening
According to studies, teeth whitening are safe and possess low-risk when you consult a dentist. Different treatments are there but when you are suggested to take a white diet, this might happen due to following reasons:
- Dentin Exposure:Teeth whitening uses hydrogen peroxide for bleaching stained parts and make your teeth appear whiter. The method can expose dentin layer temporarily by causing increased sensitivity of teeth. The dentin layer is highly susceptible to erosion and bacteria and so, you should know what foods to avoid after whitening treatment.
- Gum Irritation:The process may cause soft tissues to get irritated which can be uncomfortable. Fortunately, this is a temporary side-effect which will go away in one to three days after the procedure.
What cause stains to your teeth?
The three factors that lead to darkening teeth are acids, chromogens and tannins. These are present in common foods that can stain your enamel or make them weak. Though it may be difficult to go without some of them, you should follow for 48 hours only after the treatment. This will give whiter and brighter teeth for long time. You can restore your smile and boost confidence
Read on to know what you can eat and what to avoid.
Foods to Avoid after Teeth Whitening
- Coffee– This might be really difficult to cut out completely. You can add milk to coffee for lessening the effects of stains. Also, restrict the amount you drink to two cups only in a day.
- Tea– Dark tea is worse for the colour of your teeth. When you cannot overcome the craving for it, two cups should be maximum.
- Wine– The acidic properties of red wine and dark colours can make it high-risk drink. Though white wine cannot cause stain to your teeth, the acidity will weaken the enamel by increasing your vulnerability to other stained foods.
- Fizzy Drinks– These are acidic and full of colours and so, you should avoid these drinks completely.
- Fruit Juices– Do not drink fruit juices as they have high acidity in them.
- Dark condiments– Balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and tomato have the risks due to their colour and acidity.
- Dark Fruits– You should try to avoid eating fruits such as blackberries.
- Curry– Avoid eating curry as they are not safe for your teeth after the treatment.
- Sweets and Chocolate– Your teeth are at greater risk from stains when you eat chocolate and sweets.
- Tobacco– Smokers teeth is a common expression and you should not smoke after whitening method. Try so try to use nicotine patches and other products to fight against the craving.
Foods to Eat after Teeth Whitening
- Chicken/Turkey– These are light coloured, acid-free and healthy. Chicken or turkey is great to eat after the treatment.
- Fish– White fish like albacore is fine.
- Rice– This is the perfect accompaniment for foods which have been mentioned above.
- Pasta– Pasta is fine but do not eat coloured sauces like green pesto or tomato sauce.
- White Cheese– White cheese is fine but do not include wine with your meal.
- Onion– White onion can be eaten but you should avoid red onion.
- Egg Whites– The yolk has colour and you should remove it at the time of cooking egg.
- Potatoes– It is suggested for peeling the skin off and eat white coloured potatoes. Mash potato is perfectly fine.
- White Bread– Make sure you remove the crust for staying on the safe side.
- Bananas– They are great snacks and have little risk to your teeth colour.
- Yoghurt– White yoghurt is good but coloured yoghurt may cause stains.
- Porridge– Add milk for enjoying your delicious bowl.
You may visit at teethwhitening.london for booking a free consultation and perform teeth whitening from the dentists at the clinic.