QuickBooks, also like any other software, generates errors which comes while using the software. One such error is QuickBooks Restore Failed. This error shows up when users try to restore a backup copy of their company file in QuickBooks Desktop. In this blog, we will try to educate you on Error QuickBooks Restore Failed. We will also discuss the methods to resolve this error quickly. For best result, read the blog until the end.
Also, we recommend users to apply these methods only if they have some technical knowledge. Otherwise, you will dig yourself in big trouble. However, in case you get stuck anywhere or if you need any technical knowledge in resolving this error, call our QuickBooks experts for help at our 1.855.738.2784.
Now, let us look at the other names and error message associated with error QuickBooks Restore Failed. Here are some of them.
- Error: Failed
- Restore Failed. This is a Wrong Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File.
- Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file.
The file name sometimes comes as *.qbw, mainly at the time of attempting to save the restored file.
Reasons Due To Which QuickBooks Restore Failed Occurs
There are multiple reasons which promote error QuickBooks Restore Failed. Here we will give you some of the primary reasons.
- In case the name of the company file includes special characters.
- If the backup was restored over an existing company file.
- It also occurs in case the backup was restored from a USB flash drive to a network drive. ( Error -6189, -816 ).
- In case the backup was completed in the latest version. For Example: Backup Created in QB 2019 but the user is restoring it in QuickBooks 2019.
How To Fix QuickBooks Error: QuickBooks Restore Failed?
Here are the best solutions for fixing this error.
Solution 1: Delete special characters ( / \ # < > ! @ $ ) from the name of your company file.
- Search for the location of your company file.
Note: Look for the search for files using Windows in case you need additional help in locating your file.
- Right-click on the file name and then click on Rename.
- Create a file name without any special character and then hit Enter.
Recommended To Read – QuickBooks Payroll Error PS060
Solution 2: Check your QuickBooks desktop is running on the latest version or not.
Make sure your QuickBooks software is on the latest version before backing up the company file. For example, if you are a backup company file in QuickBooks 2021, it cannot be restored in the 2022 version.
If this method did not work for you i suggest you to try next method.
Solution 3: Move company file to local storage.
Sometimes, you have stored your company file on an external drive or a network drive, copying it and pasting it to local storage. For example, you might face a network error if you access the company file from another place, like a network drive.
Still facing the same error try below method.
Solution 4: Repair the damaged company file.
Sometimes, unfortunately, your company file gets damaged for some reason. Then follow the below steps to repair your company file with the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Go to the company file issue tab.
- Now select the QuickBooks file doctor and browse the company file chosen.
- Choose the repair company the company file damage directly File doctor tool automatically identifies and fixes the company file.
If this method also did not work for you try our next and best method.
Solution 5: Don’t overwrite an existing file while restoring your backup
When the window that asks where you want to save your file appears on your screen, go to your standard location to save your file.
In case the name is same as of another file in this folder, then you will see a message: “The file name exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?”
Click on No.
Choose the different name of the file.
These were the two most important methods to resolve this error. Execute these steps properly for wiping out this error.
While summing up, we hope that the information shared by us in this blog will be useful to you in wiping out this error. For any query regarding this error QuickBooks Restore Failed, call our QuickBooks experts for help at our 1.855.738.2784.